coats of arms

coats of arms

errors

There are probably numerous errors in my blog. Please correct me!

One is confusing Lausen with Lausanne.

Lausen is a municipality in the district of Liestal in the canton of Basel-Country in Switzerland. It lies in the middle of the Ergolz valley and has grown together with Liestal. The municipality was first mentioned in 1275 by the name Langenso. In 1305 it became the property of the Bishop of Basel, passing in 1400 to the city of Basel. The remains of a deserted medieval settlement (Wüstung) to the east of the Roman Catholic Church is listed as a heritage site of national significance.[2] The most famous citizen of the municipality was the nineteenth-century mathematician Johann Jakob Balmer.


Lausen is not on this map, but is to the north where Basel is marked.

Lausanne is near lake Geneva.

Lausanne (French pronunciation: [loˈzan] is a city in Romandy, the French-speaking part of Switzerland, and is the capital of the canton of Vaud. The seat of the district of Lausanne, the city is situated on the shores of Lake Leman (French: Lac Léman).[2] It faces the French town of Évian-les-Bains, with the Jura mountains to its north-west. Lausanne is located 62 km (39 mi) northeast of Geneva.


Hi Jane,I googled "Oppermann Kaltenholzhausen genealogy" and your blog came up.I am descended from Samuel Heymann, you can find me in the Heymann Genealogy by Reva June Nasby.I really like the way you have put the data together, including photos and stories....I hope you get a lot of hits/interest. I can tell you got some data from the Heymann Genealogy because Reva June made some serious errors. She turned the German Swiss Ballmer family into a French Swiss family by moving their home from Lausen, Basel, to Lausanne. I and our cousin Ray Green from California have done a lot of work on this family. If you are interested, I could send him your e-mail, and he can give you access to 300 years of Ballmer and Basel history. I remember my grandmother and her sister talking about Uncle Arnold. "He's the one who moved way out west." They were both born in Kansas. Then they moved back to Ohio. So, it is very nice to meet another cousin interested in genealogy. Let me know about the Ballmer link. Ed RoseBellevue, OH

Comments

Popular Posts